Wednesday, September 18, 1996

What's the Rush

Hi all. I've got a little behind in my work, as you've probably noticed, so I'm going to try to rush and catch up. And that reminds me, it's greek pledge time. You can tell by all the not-so-erasable chalk all over campus. It's all rather annoying to me. And I have a confession to make that I don't think I ever really told everyone (no, Suzanne, I'm not gay). I had no idea to "rush" meant to pledge a frat (or girl frat). So long ago, during my freshman year, I saw a whole bunch of signs on the ground saying "RUSH." And so I thought that the band RUSH was coming to UMBC. I got excited and started asking people if they were going. They of course had no idea what I was talking about. And after I found out that it wasn't the band, I thought maybe Rush Limbaugh was big on campus (not in the spatial sense). So I finally found out that it meant to join a frat (or girl frat), and I just never remembered that until now. And another thing I thought of in this vein is the actual word "rush." It implies that if you want to be in a frat, you have to do it quickly. If you miss the deadline, you are no longer allowed to be their friends. So hurry and join a frat before it's too late. This also gives new meaning to that Paula Abdul song that I never much liked in the first place anyway.

Alright, I've wasted enough of your time, and more importantly, I've wasted enough of my time, so I get to busyness, okeydokey. The following quote is one of many that came from a night of good old fashion female bashing, a favorite past time of mine until recently. So everybody get in that cynical kind of comical gender bashing mood, because Mark certainly was:


Quote Of the Day 9/18

"There ought to be a law against women. I don't know what it should be, but there should be one. That would be cool."
-Mark Asplen (Head of the women coalition on campus)


I couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, I probably wouldn't have said it at all.


It's all Greek to me,
Fish.


Still Standing Right Here...

No comments:

Post a Comment