Friday, April 3, 1998

Hour Man

Hey everybody! Don't forget to set your clocks ahead. That’s right, you lose an hour of sleep tonight. Actually, you lose an hour of playing worms, more likely. And you should have actually set it back already. Last night at 2:00 AM. And I don't know if you guys have heard this, but this is the last year that we'll have to set our clocks ahead and back and stuff. The government is instead, going to make the sun rise half an hour later this July. Starting then, it will be re-regulated every week, and we'll hardly even notice after the first month. Of course, once the asteroid hits us, I imagine that we'll have to change our clocks by hand again, until they get things sorted out. The coolest thing happened actually when we were supposed to set our clocks ahead. I was working the desk from midnight until 4AM and first of all, it was only 3 hours. That was a kinda neat revelation. But even cooler than that, I found out that I get paid for the entire four hours of it. (I don't know why, that's just what they told me to write in the payroll.) So that hour in time existed for me, according to Residential Life. While everybody else either lost an hour of sleep, or work, or socializing during that missing hour, I lived it. That's right. I was the only person on the planet not affected by the time change. I lived an hour more than everyone else on Saturday. I am "HOUR MAN!"

OK. While I was working the desk, this girl called me up at about 12:30 to ask if today was the day we set our clocks forward. To this, in my new stage of hour man bliss, I answered, "Yep, officially, at 2:00, we're supposed to set them ahead to 3." Now I swear to God she actually answered this...


Quote Of the Day 4/3/98

"Well, what if I'm not awake at two?"
-Some smart-challenged girl


I had to resist the urge to say everything I wanted on the grounds that I would have possibly gotten fired. "Sorry, then you'll just have to be an hour behind for the next six months."


An hour older, an hour dumber,
Hour Man.


Still Standing Right Here...

No comments:

Post a Comment