Wednesday, January 6, 1999

Dustin Goes Skiing

Hey everybody. Sorry I missed the last couple days, but I went skiing the first time ever Wednesday. It was awesome!!! I invented this new way of skiing. It involves going down on your stomach with your skis in the air facing up the hill. That seemed to be the only way I was going to get down this one really steep hill. It's not much for control, but neither was that crap I was trying earlier while standing up. Actually, I was "baptized by fire" as Mike put it, when trying to learn how to ski. I was on the little pink bunny slope and they were trying to show me how to turn, and I was almost getting it, but still not quite all the way there. Then all of a sudden this little kid fell down right in front of me. It was like a video game. Well I managed to safely turn away from danger (flailed my limbs in despair and fright and got lucky). The would be a theme for the rest of the night. I couldn't learn how to control my speed, so I had to learn how to turn REALLY fast.
Also, I don't know if you guys know this or not, but you use a lot of muscles when you ski. And you guys remember me complaining about my knee problems earlier this semester? Well, on more than one occasion... in fact, on possibly more than 20 occasions, my legs were pointed in exact opposite directions against my will. And I couldn't do anything to fix the problem. The more I struggled, the more tangled I got. Nobody warned me about that kinda stuff. Next time I go skiing, if I don't at least wear a brace on my knee, I'm going to bring a removable cast for the ride home. In fact, I already called Custom Prosthetic Designs, Inc. and gave them my measurements. The legs already made for me and waiting at the local office. All I have to do is give them the word, and they said they can be here within 20 minutes. Gotta plan ahead nowadays. Although, I was able to walk away under my own power this time, which makes it better than about half of the soccer games I participated in this semester.

Well, I'm sure you knew this already, but there are ski lifts that take you back up to the top after you go down a big hill. Well, there's also a map at the top showing you where the wussy little pansy hills are, and where the double diamond tear you limb from limb courses are. Mike, Joe, Leigh, Teresa, Erick, and I had just gotten off the ski lift and we were looking at the map, and Mike said to the general crowd "OK. Now what?"


Quote Of the Day 1/6/99

"Let's go down again. That was fun."
-Erick (brother of Kevin, in case any of you care)


I think he was looking for something a little more specific.



Nursing my toes back to health,
Dustin Boy-Tan-O!


Still Standing Right Here...

No comments:

Post a Comment