Friday, October 8, 1999

Review of American Beauty

Well, I saw American Beauty, the weird artistic film of this month. I don't really know what I thought of it yet, and I have no idea what I'm going to say about it yet, and I've already started typing. I'm hoping for some sort of epiphany to hit me as I type. I suppose that could make the review a lot like the film. But that's not my intent. I'm just hoping to come out of here with a coherent thought or two. None yet. But I'll keep you posted. One thing I liked about it was that it was the first time I've seen anyone address a grown man having a lustful crush on a very young girl since I read the cliff notes to some Albert Camus story and the lyrics to Aqualung. I can understand why Hollywood doesn't want to expose this aspect of relationships, but it's a fact of nature. Now before I start to really sound like a pervert, I'm not saying I condone fathers acting out their sexual fantasies on their daughter's best friend, but it was fun to watch on a movie screen. Especially when surrounded by lots of rose petals. I didn't so much like it when they starting coming out of their mouths, but the whole concept of bathing naked in them has suddenly really peaked my interest. Well, that was only one relationship there was in the film. There were also stalking, drug dealing next door neighbors with abusive, militant fathers and cheating, fast-food eating mothers who listen to self-help tapes. And there was something about blackmail in there somewhere, but there were no rose petals, so I didn't pay much attention to that part. This film will probably gross you out in parts and turn you on in others. And you'll be uncomfortable either way. But you'll laugh. Sometimes. And you'll squirm too. I doubted you'll squint and go "Whatcha talking about, Willis?", but I don't know how you'll all react. I'm going to give this film 5 bugs. It didn't blow me away, and I probably won't see it again unless it's on one of these 12 HBO stations I have at 3 AM and I can't sleep. But it was pretty good and very interesting and different. I laughed, I squirmed, I got up and left when it was over. I could have waited for it to come out on video. But I got to see it for free, and it's definitely worth free the first time around.

This just in!!!...


Quote Of the Day 10/8/99

Jason: "Aw. Look at Jiggy. She's so tired."
Tony: "Yeah. Apparently digging her claws deep into my flesh wears her out."


It is exhausting, I'll give her that.


Appreciating Jethro Tull,
Aqualung.


Still Standing Right Here...

No comments:

Post a Comment