Monday, September 25, 2000

Intro to the Idiot Doctor

Intro to the Idiot Doctor

Hey everybody. Sorry I haven't written in a while. That blanket statement spans quotes, personal e-mails, typed and faxed and/or mailed letters, hand written notes passed back in forth in class, and Windows NE version 2.1.5.6. I got some bad news about my foot last week. When I first got the surgery, I wasn't given a prescription for antibiotics. I asked her (the surgeon) if she was sure that I didn't need one, and she said I'd be fine. Then she did that thing I told you about where she shoved my foot very disaggreeably into the boot at 90 degrees and told me to walk around on it without the crutches within a couple of days. She also told me to do exercises. It hurt like a bitch to walk around, but I figure, hey, she's the doc and she probably knows what she's talking about, so I'm listening to her. Besides, when she says "rerupture," I listen.

So I went back in last week, a month after surgery, so she could check on my progress. She said that the wound opened unnaturally much and I may need to go back to the OR room to get it stapled back up. Which would put me back in a plaster cast and basically start me at square one of the healing process, at least as far as how much time it's going to take. In the meantime, I'm to take antibiotics (I was right), use my crutches as often as possible, set my brace back another 20 degrees, and stop doing my exercises or moving it at all. I find out tomorrow if I need to go back to square one. A lot of people are telling me if I do, I should think about malpractice. Which means "bad practice." Why do they call it practice? Doctors practice and lawyers try. Who the fuck just actually DOES shit anymore? I guess the term actually DOING something is reserved for the blue collared folk.

Hey. I got a little sidetracked. Malpractice. If they comp the extra surgery, I'll be fine, but if they charge me for it, I'm looking into malpractice. I don't think I told a lot of you this, but I don't have health insurance and I'm paying for this all out of my own very shallow pocket. Anesthesia alone cost me $740. Mind you it was good stuff and I don't remember a damn thing, but I don't remember a damn thing from my last night in Reno either, and I'm pretty sure that was just rum and beer and vodka and some other red stuff. But I did throw up all over the place, which I doubt the hospital would have appreciated too much.

Hey, I got sidetracked again. Anyway, I was in a bad mood most of last week and spilling through to the weekend and today because of all this crap and I was in no mood to type. Especially Windows NE version 2.1.5.6 code. So I didn't really write to anybody. But on a lighter note, Kevin just recently got married in Portland. We all went out to dinner after the wedding and Kevin ordered a shot of JD. The waiter carded him, and Kevin stuck out his hand and showed him his wedding band...


Quote Of the Day 9/25/00

"Well, I don't know. You could be from Arkansas."

-Waiter dude.


Substituting West Virginia for Arkansas would probably suffice for people around the MD/PA area.


Coming apart at the seams,

Achilles Heal.


Still Stranded Right Here...

No comments:

Post a Comment