Friday, March 30, 2012

Double Feature Duel (Rd2): Midnight in Paris vs. Horrible Bosses

Double Feature Duel (Rd2):
Midnight in Paris vs. Horrible Bosses
 
Woody Allen’s Best Picture nominated film vs. a movie with Charlie Day. OK. Could be a good match.

Title: I didn’t watch True Lies for a long time because of how stupid the title was. Horrible Bosses is a little better than that. (Point, Midnight 1-0)

Funnier: Two very different kinds of humor. Horrible Bosses has that in-your-face low burlesque humor working for it, while Midnight in Paris has that high-brow intellectual non-funny type of humor. (Point, Bosses 1-1)

Better Turn: Horrible Bosses’ trailer was pretty much the turn. So I had already seen it. (Point, Midnight 2-1)

Better Ending: It was no Pineapple Express, but I think given an afternoon, at least 4 people in my wedding party could have come up with better endings. (Point, Midnight 3-1)

Better Message: The grass is always greener on the other side of a time-traveling horse-drawn carriage. (Point, Midnight 4-1)

Better Acting: Not to devalue Marion Cotillard’s cuteness and all the 1920s caricatures, but I loved Colin Farrell and Jennifer Aniston in their new calling as comedic villains. (Point, Bosses 4-2)

More Creative: A time traveling writer who longs for days of old only to find that others from the days of old long for days of older, and so on and so on. I’ll buy that. (Point, Midnight 5-2)

Poster: Horrible Bosses, Horrible Poster. (Point, Midnight 6-2)

Watch again: I’d certainly watch either over Tree of Life, but I’d like to sweep up the dirt I may have missed in Midnight in Paris. (Point, Midnight 7-2)

Overall: Sorry Charlie. Winner: Midnight in Paris (7-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment